This is a really cool meme I picked up from over at Busted's place... Just have to give this a whirl!
Here's what you have to do: A.) Go to Music Outfitters. B.) Enter the year you graduated from high school in the search function and get the list of 100 most popular songs of that year. C.) Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you REALLY hate (Can't do this, so I've put them in italics instead). This, of course, is an American list so the songs without comment either left me indifferent or I've never heard of...
And here's the famous list of songs from 1987 (yes, yes, you read that right... I'm a dinosaur!)
1. Walk Like An Egyptian, Bangles My father really, really liked their lead singer though!
2. Alone, Heart
3. Shake You Down, Gregory Abbott
4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), Whitney Houston She was a huge star in the 1980s, but I just couldn't get "into" Whitney somehow...
5. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, Starship The favourite song of a high school friend of mine who died of pneumonia at the age of 22... Always remembering you, Felicity!
6. C'est La Vie, Robbie Nevil
7. Here I Go Again, Whitesnake Horrible, just horrible
8. The Way It Is, Bruce Hornsby and the Range Beautiful melody, and I loved this guy's voice
9. Shakedown, Bob Seger
10. Livin' On A Prayer, Bon Jovi I might know all the words to many of their songs, but I never, ever liked Bon Jovi!
11. La Bamba, Los Lobos Don't think I can actually say I LOVED this song, but I have excellent memories of crazy dancing to this, so it has great connotations...
12. Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Wang Chung
13. Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House
14. Always, Atlantic Starr
15. With Or Without You, U2 This one still gives me goosebumps even today...
16. Looking For A New Love, Jody Watley
17. Head To Toe, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
18. I Think We're Alone Now, Tiffany One of the ultimate braindead bimbo songs of all time
19. Mony Mony, Billy Idol He may have been a fake "hard man", but God, was he sexy to me when I was 18 (and living in a terrifyingly middle class, conservative part of southern England)
20. At This Moment, Billy Vera and The Beaters
21. Lady In Red, Chris De Burgh One of the most vomit-inducing songs I can think of, ever
22. Didn't We Almost Have It All, Whitney Houston
23. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, U2 See #15
24. I Want Your Sex, George Michael OK, we all know he's gay NOW, but we (or at least I) didn't then and I thought he was sex on toast!
25. Notorious, Duran Duran The whole Duranie thing left me cold - apart from "Rio" and "the Chauffeur"
26. Only In My Dreams, Debbie Gibson Bleurch
27. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life, Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
28. The Next Time I Fall, Peter Cetera and Amy Grant
29. Lean On Me, Club Nouveau
30. Open Your Heart, Madonna
31. Lost In Emotion, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
32. (I Just) Died In Your Arms, Cutting Crew Oh God, one of my first ever "slows"... oh, the memories, the memories!
33. Heart And Soul, T'pau The singer from T'Pau had RED HAIR which made me feel like less of a freak...
34. You Keep Me Hangin' On, Kim Wilde Definitely no match for the fabulous "Cambodia" and "Kids in America", but I'll always have a soft spot for KW (plus she babysat the daughter of my parents' best friends, how's that for cool?!)
35. Keep Your Hands To Yourself, Georgia Satellites
36. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me), Aretha Franklin and George Michael
37. Control, Janet Jackson
38. Somewhere Out There, Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram Vomit, vomit, vomit
39. U Got The Look, Prince He may be a total twat (my opinion), but this was great
40. Land Of Confusion, Genesis
41. Jacob's Ladder, Huey Lewis and The News
42. Who's That Girl, Madonna I've really only "bolded" Madonna because she epitomises the 1980s for me (but yeah, I bopped around to this too)
43. You Got It All, Jets
44. Touch Me (I Want Your Body), Samantha Fox Is there anyone on the planet who can actually say they like this (not to mention love it)?
45. I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Michael Jackson and Siedah Garrett
46. Causing A Commotion, Madonna
47. In Too Deep, Genesis Pure schmaltz. Early Genesis was quite good, but it just got worse and worse
48. Let's Wait Awhile, Janet Jackson
49. Hip To Be Square, Huey Lewis and the News
50. Will You Still Love Me?, Chicago
51. Little Lies, Fleetwood Mac
52. Luka, Suzanne Vega Achingly, heartbreakingly good
53. I Heard A Rumour, Bananarama
54. Don't Mean Nothing, Richard Marx Another song so sickly sweet it makes you want to barf
55. Songbird, Kenny G
56. Carrie, Europe
57. Don't Disturb This Groove, System
58. La Isla Bonita, Madonna
59. Bad, Michael Jackson I think I've only ever liked Billie Jean (and the Jackson 5)
60. Sign 'O' The Times, Prince
61. Change Of Heart, Cyndi Lauper If I'd been less of a wimp, I would have loved to have dressed like Cyndi Lauper! And I just love her voice (even now - bought her greatest hits a while ago and have several CDs)
62. Come Go With Me, Expose
63. Can't We Try, Dan Hill
64. To Be A Lover, Billy Idol
65. Mandolin Rain, Bruce Hornsby and the Range
66. Breakout, Swing Out Sister
67. Stand By Me, Ben E. King Love the song, love the film, still get goosebumps seeing River Phoenix...
68. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Genesis
69. Someday, Glass Tiger
70. When Smokey Sings, ABC Great British group, now long forgotten I suspect
71. Casanova, Levert
72. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine This is what I call MTV music (and it's not a compliment!)
73. Rock Steady, Whispers
74. Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bon Jovi
75. Big Time, Peter Gabriel
76. The Finer Things, Steve Winwood
77. Let Me Be The One, Expose
78. Is This Love, Survivor
79. Diamonds, Herb Alpert
80. Point Of No Return, Expose
81. Big Love, Fleetwood Mac
82. Midnight Blue, Lou Gramm
83. Something So Strong, Crowded House
84. Heat Of The Night, Bryan Adams
85. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You, Glenn Medeiros Barf, barf, barf
86. Brilliant Disguise, Bruce Springsteen Loved Bruce, but don't know this one
87. Just To See Her, Smokey Robinson
88. Who Will You Run Too, Heart
89. Respect Yourself, Bruce Willis Are you serious?
90. Cross My Broken Heart, Jets
91. Victory, Kool and The Gang
92. Don't Get Me Wrong, Pretenders Oh, this brings back great memories too! Just love Chrissie Hynds' voice...
93. Doing It All For My Baby, Huey Lewis and The News
94. Right On Track, Breakfast Club
95. Ballerina Girl, Lionel Richie Possibly one of my least favourite songs ever. Topped by "Hello", of course, and its vomit-inducing video
96. Meet Me Half Way, Kenny Loggins
97. I've Been In Love Before, Cutting Crew
98. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right To Party, Beastie Boys Yeah, I liked songs "with attitude", but this seemed too put on and I hated it
99. Funkytown, Pseudo Echo
100. Love You Down, Ready For The World
OK, over to you now!