No, not midnight on 31 December... the answers to Linda's questionnaire, of course! Too late to be included in her list of links, too, but hey, I like to be fashionably (cough, cough) late... Which is actually a total lie, I'm much more likely to arrive hopelessly early but well. Where was I?
As yes. The questionnaire. Here we go:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Started writing a blog instead of just reading other people's
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Never really make any serious resolutions because I seem to be pathologically devoid of any self-discipline
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not really close, but yes, I know a few people who had babies this year
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not really, but people I know (and have known all my life) died unexpectedly, it's just that they weren't particularly close to me
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Italy, Portugal
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Less money worries
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August, when we went to Italy, September, when my daughters started at their new school, mid-October (my first business trip away from my daughters for longer than just 24 hours)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Taking up a physical activity (Tai Chi)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Putting on so much weight from eating so much crap
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really (thankfully)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new camera (FujiFilm FinePix A900) because despite being cheap, it helps me take pretty good pictures, plus also does videos with sound
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
C and L, my daughters, who've been better behaved than last year
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My MIL on occasion (not all the time, I swear)
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Lake Como - so beautiful!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Rihanna's Please don't stop the music, C's first ever favourite pop song (played endlessly, even now, one year later)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter?c) richer or poorer?
a) About the same,
b) Fatter (unfortunately),
c) About the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly at home, D with chronic back ache, L with chicken pox, but it was quite good all the same
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Don't really watch TV
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Jodi Picoult, "Nineteen minutes" - funny and moving
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I think I'm too old for this question!
26. What did you want and get?
The new Largo Winch episode (sorry, the link's in French as there's no English version of this French "comic book" series starring the delectable Largo)
27. What did you want and not get?
Body Shop eau de toilette, Nigella Lawson cook book
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We had a picnic tea in a nearby park with friends. I turned 39
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having to worry about money all the time
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I think I look pretty cool but no one else sees it that way
32. What kept you sane?
Blogging, writing my diary and my fantasies
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp, always and ever
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Obama's election (even if I'm not American)
35. Who did you miss?
My friends, J and M in England
36. Who was the best new person you met?
One of the mothers in the PTA at the girls' new school
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I'm getting older (and old, as far as most people are concerned) and should try and embrace it rather than just freak out
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Can't quite remember the lyrics, but probably most of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun"
Oh, and I would just like to take this opportunity to give myself a huge pat on the back for SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING THE DECEMBER NABLOPOMO CHALLENGE. Yeah me!